ART AS A BUSINESS – 2020
Want to earn a living as an artist or craftmaker?
The North Coast Small Business Development Center is offering a special program for artists on the North Coast to enhance their business skills. This “Art as a Business” cohort learning program will meet weekly from July 22nd – September 23rd, and will culminate in an Arts Alive Exhibit on October 3rd. This program is intended for artists who are looking for assistance starting or growing their business. Topics covered will range from getting a business license and photographing your work, to creating contracts and marketing yourself outside of Humboldt County. Sessions will be taught by an array of local experts, SBDC staff, and SBDC business consultants.
2020 Workshop Sessions:
- July 22nd: Kick-Off
- July 29th: Think Like A Marketer (marketing basics)
- August 5th: Online Sales
- August 12th: Online Marketing + Photography
- August 19th: Sales: Galleries, Wholesale + Consignment
- August 26th: Sales: Vendor Fairs
- September 2nd: Managing Your Money + Inventory
- September 9th: Creating Financing + Offering Your Services
- September 16th: Legal Aspects for Artists
- September 23: Panel Review by Local Artists
- October 3rd: Eureka Arts Alive! Exhibit
Want to Learn More?
- If you weren’t able to attend an Info Session watch a recording via this link!
- Call (707) 445-9720 or email email@example.com to ask questions.
Ready to Apply?
Step (1) APPLY BY OR BEFORE June 26th.
Complete all of the following and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to North Coast SBDC Flights Program, 520 E Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
- Sign up online as a client * Be sure to specify you’re an Art Flight candidate. This gets you into the system so you can access help no matter what.
- Flight Program Application* Download, fill out thoughtfully, and return by email, mail or in person. This form is Efillable and Esignable with Adobe Acrobat, but can also be completed by hand.
- Income Eligibility Scholarship Form* This scholarship form must be filled out completely or we cannot process it. All information is kept confidential. Call us any time if you need help with the questions. This form is Efillable and Esignable with Adobe Acrobat, but can also be completed by hand.
Step (2) WE CONFIRM YOUR SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY. You will get an email promptly confirming that we received your application and saying whether you qualify for this scholarship. You do not need to qualify for the scholarship to participate in the program.
Step (3) WE CONFIRM YOUR FLIGHT ELIGIBILITY You will get a phone call and an email after your application has been reviewed letting you know whether it’s time to set up your intake interview with a business advisor. That conversation will allow us to figure out whether this Art as a Business Flight is the right program for your needs, or if our other services will suit you better. If you are a fit for this cohort, we will assign you your own business coach who will talk in depth with you about your hopes, needs, and goals. If you are a fit for the cohort but you don’t qualify for the full scholarship you can decide then if you want to pay out of pocket, or you can choose to have business advising only, which is always no-cost.
Art as a Business Flight Timeline:
- May 6th, 2020: Info Session #1
- June 2nd, 2020: Info Session #2
- June 26th: Application Deadline
- July 22nd – September 23rd: Weekly Sessions for Program
- October 3rd: Arts Alive Exhibit