Own a Business? Own Your Exit.
Smart business owners plan their transition from day one...
Whether it's this year or in ten now is always a good time to prepare your business for your departure. Our region contains a growing number of business owners who are approaching “business exit”, but haven’t yet figured out the strategy that best meets their business strategy, financial needs, and personal values. We can help.
Up next: register for the free webinar on Feb 28th Converting Your Business to Employee Ownership: Myths and Realities
2019 Business Succession Program
Building on the success of the August 2018 Business Succession Conference, the 2019 Business Succession Program is an interactive, practical guide through your business exit. Best for owners who want intensive, hands-on help to engineer a sound exit in the next 1-10 years. Whether it’s selling to new owners, employees, or transferring to inheritors, this is your springboard to a smart exit. Questions? Contact Center Director Leila Roberts at email@example.com or (707) 445-9720 x212
- Create a strong exit plan that meets both your business goals and family needs.
- Gain confidence that you’re “doing it right" with personalized support from your seasoned SBDC consultant.
- Access best practices from experts who’d otherwise cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars.
How to Participate:
- One-to-one business advising throughout process (sign up to become a client)
- Facilitated Peer Coaching Group
- Speed Consulting with specialists
Sign up for one or all the following workshops to help you through the "tricky" parts of selling or transferring your business.
Introduction for all business owners:
Simple Steps for Exiting Your Business: Feb 8, 2019 - 10 am to 12:30 pm. Group coaching orientation runs from 9 to 10 am and speed consulting slots are open from 1 to 4 pm
Selling the business:
- Selling Your Business: A Broad Overview: February or March TBD
- Business Valuation: A Practical Introduction for Owners: March TBD
- Finding and Screening Buyers for your Business: April TBD
- Structuring and Closing the Deal: May TBD
- Work with Your Successors for a Strong Transition Before, During, and After Selling the Business: June TBD
- Build Your Business Before Selling--Your Last Business Plan: June/July TBD
Transferring to family members
Transferring the Family Business with your Estate Plan: March/May TBD
Converting to employee ownership:
- Converting Your Business to Employee Ownership--Myths and Realities: Feb 13, 2019 - 12 to 1:30 pm. Virtual workshop accessible from your computer or SBDC Conference Room.
- Should my client sell the business to their employees? Coaching owners through the decision.
- Converting Your Business to Employee Ownership--Myths and Realities (re-rerun)
- B2B Professionals! My client wants to convert to employee ownership. Now what?
- Lenders! Learn how to do business in employee ownership scenarios
- Orientation to the Employee Ownership Conversion Process
Facilitated Group Coaching
Respected Humboldt business transition coach Richard Borough is facilitating a peer support process to run in parallel with the Business Succession workshops. This small, private group will gather in between the workshops to help each other stay on track and discuss sensitive topics in a confidential setting.
Participation is free thanks to generous sponsorship from The Headwaters Fund.
- Participants must be SBDC clients. Sign up online here or contact SBDC Director to become a client and request your intake interview: Leila Roberts firstname.lastname@example.org or (707) 445-9720 x212
- Business owners only.
- Limit of 10 participants in group.
- Come to the first gathering from 9 to 10 am on Friday, Feb 8th to learn more and meet your peers. The group will decide together how often and when to meet thereafter.
Some workshops will be followed by 30-45 minute "Speed Consulting" slots with specialists in finance, legal, management. This is an excellent opportunity to bring a concrete question or challenge into a private, one-to-one session and come away with concerete advice. Reserve a spot with Center Director Leila Roberts email@example.com or (707) 445-9720 x212
Friday, February 8th
- The family / business financial planning aspects of your business exit: 30-45 minutes with Mike Balstadt at 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm or 4 pm (Saturday appointments are a possibility)
- The family / personal values and goal-setting aspects of your business exit: 30-45 minutes with Richard Borough at 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm or 4 pm
Stay tuned for other speed consulting opportunities!